NEW YORK -- Ryan McMahon became the latest player to land on the Yankees’ crowded injured list on Friday, when the infielder was diagnosed with a Grade 2 sprain of his left thumb.
The injury stems from a slide into second base during Wednesday’s 5-3 victory over the Orioles at Camden Yards. McMahon said he did not expect the severity of the sprain and was told he might be able to return in the minimum 10 days.
“It’s not great news. It could have been worse,” McMahon said. “Obviously, I’m not happy with it. But I’m thankful that there’s most likely no surgery, and hopefully just the minimum 10 days.”
McMahon fielded ground balls at third base during batting practice at Yankee Stadium on Friday. He also took swings indoors, according to manager Aaron Boone, who said he was encouraged.
“I watched him hit today, and it was actually pretty good,” Boone said. “We just felt like it probably would’ve been a couple of more days, at least, and then maybe [McMahon would be] a little bit compromised. I would expect it to be the minimum.”
In a corresponding roster move, the Yankees recalled infielder/outfielder Max Schuemann from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. This is Schuemann’s second stint with the Yankees.
Amed Rosario started at third base on Friday, with the Blue Jays starting left-hander Mason Fluharty in a bullpen game. José Caballero could see increased playing time at the hot corner against right-handed starters while McMahon is out.
At least temporarily, McMahon’s injury could solve the Yankees’ pending roster crunch.
Cody Bellinger is scheduled to play left field on Friday for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and if the Minor League rehab game goes well, Bellinger could be activated for Sunday’s series finale against the Blue Jays.
It’s possible Schuemann could be optioned back to Triple-A at that time, allowing rookie Spencer Jones to remain on the active roster. Boone said those discussions have been “very preliminary” to this point.
Boone also said Anthony Volpe was “in the conversation” to be recalled. Volpe is 11-for-46 (.239) with three homers and nine RBIs since being optioned to the Minors on Aug. 4. He has played nine games at second base and three at shortstop.
“I think it made sense now, in this time, to bring Max,” Boone said.
While Aaron Judge hits off a tee and Giancarlo Stanton continues to run bases, another injured Yankee could take a significant step on Saturday, when Max Fried is scheduled to throw a side session.
Fried was placed on the 15-day injured list Tuesday (retroactive to Monday) with a left elbow bone bruise, but the left-hander said it is not as significant as the issue that cost him 10 weeks earlier this year.
“Before, it was definitely more intense, more pain,” Fried said. “I would say that it was something that felt similar, but at a smaller scale. I just wanted to be as transparent as I could be with the medical staff and the coaching staff, knowing that we have a big goal at hand.
“I want to be able to take the ball, and was willing to, but we decided that it was better to take a little bit of a breather now.”
The side session would prepare Fried for a live batting practice session this coming week, and Boone said it remains “in play” that Fried could be activated from the 15-day injured list when eligible.
“The last couple of days have been good for him,” Boone said.
