Precipitated by the profound impact of recent, senseless tragedies in communities throughout our nation, this Committee’s mission focuses on identifying and combating disparities and systemic inequities that obstruct socioeconomic fairness and progress for marginalized groups.
Five major pillars of focus will shape the committee’s efforts:
- Diversity and Inclusion within the Yankees Organization
- Socioeconomic Development
- Social Responsibility
- Health and Wellness
The Committee is comprised of a dedicated and diverse network of New York Yankees staff members, on-field personnel, alumni, and outside community leaders and business partners. The group began virtual meetings in September, and the advancement of proposals and projects has continued with regularly scheduled meetings and informal dialogue. The shared goal has been to identify ways to combine resources and utilize the panel’s various prominent public platforms to address and eradicate barriers that impede access, diversity, inclusion and opportunity for our neighbors around Yankee Stadium and in the larger metropolitan community.
Yankees-CUNY (City University of New York) Partnership Program
Its creation is predicated on identifying and exposing CUNY students and alumni to career paths, employment, and business opportunities throughout the New York Yankees organization. This relationship between the Yankees and CUNY, the largest urban university system in the United States, will also include direct immersion into the New York Yankees Sport Management Mentoring Program. Of particular note, CUNY’s demographics include a wide swath of minorities and other individuals who are underrepresented in corporate settings.
• 61% are from households where neither parent graduated college.
• 94% are from New York State.
• 57% are females.
• 80% are students of color.
• 32% are Hispanic.
• 26% are Black.
• 22% are of Asian descent.
- Jose Calderon - Former President, Hispanic Federation
- Ana Garcia - Director, Government & Community Affairs, NewYork-Presbyterian
- Spike Lee - Forty Acres & A Mule Filmworks
- Daniel Quintero - Executive Director, Kips Bay Boys & Girls Club
- Arva Rice - President & CEO, New York Urban League, Inc.
- Janis Robinson - Vice President, Institutions & Partnerships, Food Bank for New York City
- Meisha Ross-Porter - Executive Superintendent for the Bronx, New York City Department of Education
- Elizabeth Toledo - Vice President of Field Operations, YMCA of Greater New York
- Hal Steinbrenner - Managing General Partner/Chairperson
- Randy Levine, Esq. - President
- Brian Cashman - Senior VP, General Manager
- Brian Smith - Senior VP, Corporate/Community Relations
- Aryn Sobo, Esq. - VP, Human Resources, Employment & Labor Law
- Jason Zillo – VP, Communications & Media Relations
- Robert Brown - VP & CFO, Accounting
- CC Sabathia - Yankees Special Advisor
- Reggie Jackson - Former Yankee & Baseball Hall of Famer
- Marcus Thames - Yankees Hitting Coach
- Mike Harkey - Yankees Bullpen Coach
- Rose Barre - Yankees Executive Director, Sales, Service and Business Strategy
- Kevin Reese – Yankees Senior Director, Player Development