Improve your baseball and softball coaching skillset the Mariners way!
On BASE Coaches Clinics
In 2019, the Mariners hosted dozens of On BASE Coaches Clinics throughout the Pacific Northwest to local youth coaches looking to improve their practices as a coach, mentor, and motivator.
The Mariners believe that positive playing experiences in youth sports starts with committed coaches.Mariners coaches, personalities, and Mariners Grand Slam Camps Founder and Lead Trainer, Mark Zender, hosted clinics in Portland, Seattle, Bellevue, Lynwood, Tacoma, and ten other cities across the PNW.
Coaches are able to:
- Learn how to implement practical techniques to help young ballplayers of all skill levels excel and improve.
- Gain insight on how to provide a positive playing experience and supportive team environment.
- Engage with members of the Mariners coaching staff through interactive Q&A sessions.
On BASE 5-Tool Coaches Training
On June 18th, the Mariners hosted the first On BASE 5-Tool Coaches Training at T-Mobile Park for high school coaches interested in becoming advocates for gender equity, combating racism, and creating safe spaces for LGBTQIA+ athletes on their teams.
In a three-hour clinic, you coaches explored topics such as respecting diversity in a team environment, promoting gender equity in sports, and received actionable tips to be consistent allies for the young people on their teams. The Mariners had experts in the field provide training for the coaches. Speakers included:
Dr. Sara Lopez
Co-Director for the Center for Leadership in Athletics and Program Director for the Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership (IAL) M.Ed. at the University of Washington
- Creating a Safe and Inclusive Team Environment: How to foster positive team environments for LGBTQIA athletes.
Ethnic Studies Teacher and Co-Adviser to the Black Student Union at Garfield High School
- Does Race Matter In Sports? Understanding how a "color blind" approach can be well meaning but detrimental to students experiencing discrimination and racism
Program Coordinator, Harborview Center for Sexual Assault and Traumatic Stress, Coaching Boys to Men, and Athletes as Leaders
- Promoting gender equality and building responsible, respectful, and non-violent relationships.