As he winds down his first season wearing the historic Dodgers blue in Los Angeles, perennial All-Star outfielder Mookie Betts will finish the 2020 season with the most popular player jersey in MLB for the first time in his seven-year career. Betts is also the first Dodgers player to finish a season with the most popular player jersey in the Majors.
Immediately following Betts on the list are fellow superstar outfielders Aaron Judge and Bryce Harper. The list, released jointly on Friday by MLB and Major League Baseball Players, Inc., is based on sales of jerseys from MLBShop.com, the official online shop of Major League Baseball, since Opening Day.
Reflecting their popular performances on the field, a pair of 21-year-old Dominican-born rising stars round out the top five most popular MLB player jerseys with their first appearances on the leaderboard: Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. (No. 4) and Nationals outfielder Juan Soto (No. 5). This is the first season since 2012 that two players age 21 or younger have ranked in the top five (Harper and Mike Trout, who were Nos. 4 and 5), while Gerrit Cole (No. 19 this year) joins Tatis and Soto as new additions to the most popular player jerseys list.
While 11 clubs are represented in the top 20, this is the first time that two members of the Padres (Tatis and Manny Machado, No. 12) have finished the season on the list since MLB and MLBPI began releasing jerseys sales rankings in 2010.
Most Popular MLB Player Jerseys of 2020
Based on MLBShop.com Nike jersey sales since the start of the 2020 season
- Mookie Betts, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Aaron Judge, New York Yankees
- Bryce Harper, Philadelphia Phillies
- Fernando Tatis Jr., San Diego Padres
- Juan Soto, Washington Nationals
- Cody Bellinger, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Max Scherzer, Washington Nationals
- Javier Báez, Chicago Cubs
- Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Ronald Acuña Jr., Atlanta Braves
- Christian Yelich, Milwaukee Brewers
- Manny Machado, San Diego Padres
- Anthony Rizzo, Chicago Cubs
- Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
- Kris Bryant, Chicago Cubs
- Giancarlo Stanton, New York Yankees
- Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
- Jose Altuve, Houston Astros
- Gerrit Cole, New York Yankees
- Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves